TV & Radio Presenter
Official Agent: Jo Carlton
Seven and a half years on Blue Peter established Matt Baker as one of the best loved, nicest and most versatile presenters in the show's history, winning him 2 BAFTA awards for Best Children's presenter and a Royal Television Society award. Matt is a well known face across British television as the former co-host of The One Show and ongoing presenter of BBC One's top rating & award-winning Sunday night Countryfile series.
In July 2017 Matt co-hosted the BAFTA-nominated Wild Alaska Live, a major three-part live television event for BBC One produced by BBC Studios' Natural History Unit and the BBC Specialist Factual Department. The series, from the makers of 2015's BAFTA award-winning Big Blue Live (which Matt previously presented with Steve Backshall and Liz Bonnin), covered one of the greatest wildlife spectacles from one of the remotest corners of Earth.
In May 2018 Matt co-presented Royal Wedding Watch; a five-part nightly series of special programmes leading up to the live broadcast of the royal wedding, for US TV network PBS.
Throughout 2019 Matt presented several radio programmes for both Magic FM and Classic FM. In December 2019 Matt made his pantomime debut at the iconic London Palladium, starring in Goldilocks And The Three Bears.
Over twenty years at the BBC has seen Matt as one of the hardest working talent at the channel, working quite uniquely all year round across a variety of programmes in a number of different departments. He is also an ongoing key part of the BBC Sport Gymnastics presentation team and key commentator for the Artistic Gymnastics events at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, London 2012 Olympic Games and all the regular National, European and World Gymnastics Championships events to date.
Matt also presented The Gift and Secret Britain for BBC One and was a finalist in Strictly Come Dancing 2010. Matt also took part in the 2011 Strictly Live Tour where he won a record-breaking number of shows, one of the most since its inception. He was also a finalist in the 2017 Radio Times Most Popular Presenter poll.
Matt was born in Durham where he grew up in the Dales on his family's sheep farm. His love of the countryside and animals made him the natural choice for fronting such shows as Animal Rescue Squad for Channel 5, One Man and His Dog, Summer Countryfile Diaries, Crufts, Animal Rescue and a BBC NE natural history series. He is also the former president of the National Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs.
Matt left Blue Peter in 2006 and began fronting BBC Daytime shows, including the City Hospital series. His other TV credits include hosting the Evacuation series, and two series of The Stables Live 8. He presented Jonny Wilkinson's Hotshots rugby plus Jonny's rugby training DVD. He has also starred in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the London Palladium and Sunderland Empire and as Prince Charming in Cinderella at the Sheffield Lyceum.
As a boy, Matt was a British gymnastic and sports acrobatics champion, later joining the BBC Grandstand team as a world gymnastics presenter and commentator. He is also a hang-gliding world record holder. Matt has covered the World Gymnastics Championships, Glasgow Grand Prix Gymnastics and European Gymnastics Championships for BBC Two as well as the London Marathon for BBC One. He was a key commentator for BBC's coverage of the gymnastics events at the 2008 Olympic Games from Beijing and the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships 2009 from London's O2 Arena.
Matt's exceptional physical prowess has allowed him to complete an impressive number of television challenges: he trained as a stunt man in Florida; spent a gruelling week with the Royal Marine Commandos, successfully passing their recruits' course, and later completed the Para's P Company selection tests. He also made the final of BBC Sport Relief's charity show jumping series Only Fools on Horses.
In November 2011, Matt undertook his most daunting challenge to date: The One Show Rickshaw Challenge. He spent 8 days pedalling a rickshaw from Edinburgh to London, covering well over 480 miles and interviewing guests along the way. The feat saw Matt raise an incredible amount — in excess of £1.9 million — for BBC Children In Need. He has made a number of visits to several of the centres that have benefited from the money raised. For the past nine years, Matt has acted as mentor for the Rickshaw Challenge, cycling alongside the rickshaw and offering support and encouragement to the team. Despite leaving The One Show in March 2020, Matt returned to take part in the Rickshaw Challenge for his tenth year in a row, raising £5.7 million for the charity. Under Matt's watch the Rickshaw ride has raised in excess of a staggering £41.1 million for BBC Children In Need and its good causes.
In April 2020 Matt also co-hosted The Big Night In for BBC One; a unique evening of entertainment, music and comedy to raise funds for Comic Relief and BBC Children In Need, to support those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matt has hosted many large scale live concerts including a series of children's concerts with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, BBC National Road Shows, 4 Family Proms in Hyde Park and many live Proms from the Albert Hall; he co-presented three series of Making Tracks for BBC Radio 3 and was a long-running presenter of Open Country for Radio 4. Matt was also the co-host of the Olympic Handover Concert, officially marking the start of London's tenure as Summer host city. The event took place in front of a 40,000-strong crowd at The Mall and was broadcast live on BBC One and BBC Radio 2. He was also involved in the Olympic Victory Parade through central London, which went out live on BBC One. In April 2011 Matt interviewed the Prime Minister and reported live from Downing Street as part of the BBC's coverage of The Royal Wedding. Matt was also the co-host of Sport Relief 2012: The Mile Show in March 2012 and the The Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant in June 2012, both going out live on BBC1.
In 2009, Matt was one of the celebrities who took part in Around The World In 80 Days, a re-enactment of Jules Verne's literary odyssey for BBC Children in Need. He is always a popular guest on talk shows from Sarah Millican to Paul O'Grady and has also appeared on BBC Two's Top Gear.
Matt studied for a BA (Hons) Acting at Queen Margaret's in Edinburgh, but after only eighteen months into the course he was snapped up as the 28th Blue Peter presenter — the rest is history!
- Matt Baker: Our Farm In The Dales - More4
- Countryfile - BBC1
- Children In Need Rickshaw Challenge - BBC1
- The Big Night In - BBC1
- The One Show - BBC1
- A Question Of Sport At 50 - BBC1
- World Cup Gymnastics - BBC1/BBC2
- Men's European Gymnastics Championships - BBC1/BBC2
- Women's European Gymnastics Championships - BBC1/BBC2
- Top Gear - BBC2
- Royal Wedding Watch - PBS
- Wild Alaska Live - BBC1
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games - BBC1/BBC4
- Artistic Gymnastics World Championships - BBC2
- Big Blue Live - BBC1
- The Gift - BBC1
- Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games - BBC1/BBC3
- The Sport Relief Games Show - BBC1
- The Sarah Millican Television Programme - BBC2
- London 2012 Olympic Games - BBC1/BBC2/BBC3
- The Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant - BBC1
- Sport Relief 2012: The Mile Show - BBC1
- One Man And His Dog - BBC2
- Tonight's the Night - BBC1
- Pointless Celebrities - BBC1
- The Royal Wedding - BBC1
- Strictly Come Dancing - BBC1
- Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two - BBC2
- Secret Britain - BBC1
- The National Lottery Awards 2010 - BBC1
- European Gymnastics Championships - BBC2
- Around The World In 80 Days - BBC1
- England's Green And Pleasant Land - BBC1 NE
- London Marathon - BBC1
- Glasgow Grand Prix Gymnastics - BBC2
- The Paul O'Grady Show - Channel 4
- Market Kitchen - UKTV Food
- Parade Of The Heroes: Beijing 2008 - BBC1
- The Wright Stuff - Channel 5
- BBC Olympic Coverage (Gymnastics) - BBC1/BBC2
- Animal Rescue Squad International - Channel 5
- Animal Rescue Squad - Channel 5
- Evacuation Manor House - CBBC/BBC1
- BBC Sport: Gymnastics - BBC1
- Animal Rescue Live - BBC1
- Summer Countryfile Diaries - BBC
- Trooping Of The Colour - BBC1
- Crufts - BBC1
- Only Fools On Horses - BBC1
- City Hospital - BBC1
- Hot Shots - CBBC
- Blue Peter - BBC1
- Cutting It - BBC1
- Doctor Who - BBC1
- Magic Breakfast - Magic FM
- Classic FM
- Open Country - BBC Radio 4
- Making Tracks Classical Concerts - BBC Radio 3
- Goldilocks And The 3 Bears - London Palladium
- Children's Proms - Royal Albert Hall
- The Grand Christmas Classics Concerts - Royal Festival Hall
- Olympic Handover Party
- Olympic Flame Torch Bearer
- Strictly Come Dancing Live Tour 2011
- Symphony Hall Birmingham Christmas Concert
- Royal Northern Sinfonia Concerts
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang